Info link

Tuesday 24 July 2012

Music tech: what you need

So, as I said in a previous post, I am currently studying music tech. (the post about Ableton, please help me buy it! :( ) And I was just thinking about making a post for all of those students who have just finished the last  year in uniform and are ready to really start the work.

Headphones
Headphones are essential. Don't go and get some crappy earphones, I made that mistake. Go online and read some reviews about headphones and make a decision on what you really want to get, then get them! Don't worry about the price, you can pick up some decent quality headphones for a really good price. I suggest getting some Skullcandy headphones as I've tried them out myself.

A good ear
Without a good ear, your recording and sequencing projects won't be very good. You need a good ear to pick out any faults with things you've recorded and any notes that you've input. Also, if you're remastering a song or just doing another version of it, you need to be able to pick up on any sounds or synths that haven't been mentioned. 

Understanding of terminology
Without an understanding of terminology, you can't really explain anything to your teachers. I will admit that my explanation of terminology isn't the best, but I know what I'm talking about 80%-90% of the time. This can be key to getting something like a merit or a distinction (or if you're doing A levels instead of BTEC, A grades)

Good writing skills
Believe it or not, you need to write a lot in music tech. This is due to the teachers needing to know how you're coming along with your work and whether or not you understand it. This also links in to terminology as you need to know a lot of it to pass on written work. Another tip: Use lots of pictures and explain everything, as it helps you to achieve a lot. 

These are the basics of what you need to know. If anyone can elaborate, then please do. I hope this helps future Music technologists! 

Thanks, 

Ben. 

No comments:

Post a Comment